6. Intelligent Alerting
This section provides a detailed description of the tools that are available in the Enterprise Manufacturing Analytics (EMA) application. It contains the following sections:
- Creating Alerts
- Configuring Alerts
- Monitoring Frequency
- Managing Alerts
- Viewing Incidents
- Managing Notifications
Sight Machine’s Intelligent Alerting feature monitors data and proactively notifies you when configured criteria are met, allowing you to quickly identify and address issues.
- Alert: The set of parameters and criteria that you configure for monitoring.
- Incident: A specific instance in which the configured alert’s criteria has been met.
- Notification: Communication to you when an incident occurs.
Configuring Alerts in the User Interface
The Sight Machine platform currently allows you to create alerts for two applications directly in the user interface:
- Statistical Process Control (SPC): Use to monitor for breaches in specification limits, both upper and lower.
- Data Latency Monitoring: Use to monitor outages in source data connectivity.
Configuring Alerts for Other Analytics
In addition to browser-based configuration, the Sight Machine platform also lets you configure alerting for any deployed application within the platform. Sight Machine will be supporting user interface configuration of additional applications in the future, but if you have an immediate request, reach out to your Customer Success representative.
You can configure alerts from multiple locations within the Sight Machine platform:
- Alerting page: Click the bell icon in the upper-right corner.
- SPC applications page: Click the Create Alert button.
- Raw Data Streams page: Click the Create Alert button.
NOTE: On the SPC applications or the Raw Data Streams page, some configurations on the Create Alert form are auto-filled.
METHOD 1: To create an alert on the Alerting page:
- To navigate to the Alerting page, in the upper-right corner of the page, click the bell icon, and then click Manage Alerts.
- In the upper-right corner, click the plus (+) icon, and then select the application that you want to use.
NOTE: Basic users only have access to create SPC alerts. Users with the AI Data Pipeline or Admin role can also create Data Latency Monitoring alerts.
METHOD 2: To create an alert from the SPC application:
- Navigate to the SPC application, enter your parameters, and then click Update.
- After your results return and you want to use those parameters within an alert, in the upper-right corner, click the Create Alert icon.
METHOD 3: To create an alert on the Raw Data Streams page:
- Navigate to the Raw Data Streams page, and then select the streams of interest.
- After you have selected the streams that you want to monitor for potential source connectivity issues, in the upper-right corner, click the Create Alert icon.
Each alert, regardless of Analytic, contains the following 4 sections:
- Parameters: The application-specific input parameters.
- Alert Criteria: The application-specific alert criteria.
- Monitor Frequency: The frequency with which the application is run and how often you are notified.
- Notification: The configuration of the notification subject and recipients.
Configuring SPC Alerts
To configure an SPC alert, do the following:
- Select the Machines and data field that you want to monitor.
NOTE: Selected Machines must all be of the same type.
- Add additional filters, if needed.
- Set your specification limit alert criteria.
You only need to enter a value for either Lower Spec Limit or Upper Spec Limit, but you can enter both if needed. An incident is triggered if a value falls outside of the specification limits.
Configuring Data Latency Monitoring Alerts
To configure a Data Latency Monitoring alert, do the following:
- Select the data streams that you want to monitor.
- Set your data latency alert criteria.
An incident is triggered if data from the selected sources has not arrived in the Sight Machine environment in more than the time specified.
Monitoring and notifications are two separate concepts in the Alerting application that allow you greater flexibility to determine how often incidents are generated and how often notifications are sent to recipients.
In the Monitoring Frequency section of the alert, you can set the following:
- Under Check for Alerts every, set the frequency at which the application is run and the time period selected each time the application is run. For example, if you set Check for Alerts every to 5 hours, the application runs every 5 hours and checks the last 5 hours of data.
- Under Notify me at most every, set the maximum frequency at which you are notified by a given alert. For example, if you set Notify me at most every to 1 day, a number of incidents could occur over the course of the day, but you are only notified of the first incident, and then again for 1 day.
As the creator of an alert, or as an Admin user, you can take a number of actions on an alert. On the Alerting page, go to the Alerts tab. The following actions are available on the Options menu next to any alert:
- Edit: Change the configuration of an alert.
- Clone: Make a copy of an alert, and then change or edit the parameters.
- Unsubscribe: Stop receiving notifications or viewing incidents for the alert. Any user (including non-Admins) can Unsubscribe from an alert. This can be done on the Alerts page, as well as from any email notification.
- Disable/Enable: Stop or start an alert from running. Saving a new alert for the first time automatically enables it. Disabling the alert stops producing incidents as well as notifying the recipients of the alert. You can Enable or Disable an alert at any time.
To ensure that you can view the occurrence of incidents over time, the Sight Machine platform provides a complete historical view. To navigate to this page, on the Alerting page, click the Incidents tab.
On the Incidents page, you can do the following:
- Search for incidents in the search bar.
- Filter incidents based on a specific type of alert or analytic.
- View the details of an incident (click a row to open the Details view).
- View the incident history for a specific alert.
- Investigate the incident further. When available, you can click Investigate to go back into the application (such as SPC) at the time of the incident, with all selection criteria pre-populated.
Recipients of a given alert are notified both in the Sight Machine platform and via email notifications.
You are notified of incidents via in-platform notifications. When you receive a new in-platform notification, the alerting icon has a red notification in the upper-right corner.
Click the icon to see a full history of incidents in order of the time they were received. You can select a particular incident to be redirected to the All incidents page with the alert pre-filtered.
In an email notification, you are provided with the full details of the incident as well as some additional actions. You can click any of the following:
- Investigate: When available, you can go back into the application (such as SPC) at the time of the incident, with all selection criteria pre-populated.
- Manage Alert: You are redirected to the alert’s configuration page to make changes or unsubscribe.
- Full Incident History: You are redirected to the All incidents page with the alert pre-filtered.